Friday, December 15, 2017

What Is Your Favorite Family Tradition?


Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Season's Greetings to all!

This time of year is full of traditions, no matter what religion you are. For me, learning about other people's traditions and faith give me the opportunity to grow as a person. 

This can be a joyful time of year or a really tough time of year and it's important to recognize the differences for people who are struggling. So as you enjoy the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season please remember to be kind to the grumpy man or lady that you run into on your joyful path. Sometimes just remembering to hold the door open for a stranger can brighten up their day.

Now for a few of my favorite traditions...

We put up our artificial Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. We have an artificial tree because we needed to stop the annual "when are we going to get a tree" fight. LOL Now I can put the tree up as soon as I want and not worry about pine needles dropping everywhere. This year I found these pine scented sticks that you can hang in your tree. They actually do work. You can smell the pine when you walk in the house.

The first ornament that goes on the tree is my daughter's first Christmas. It gets a prime spot.


Then comes our beloved Macy ornament. For those of you who don't know we lost Macy in March. This will be our first Christmas without her in eleven years. Believe it or not, she loved Christmas. She could hardly wait (and sometimes didn't) to open her presents on Christmas morning.


I've always heard it's good luck to have a bird in your tree. My Secret Santa (nurse Lu) gave this one to me many many years ago. I now have quite a few birds in our tree...


Another tradition for us is Christmas Eve pajamas. Every year for as long as I can remember I've gotten a new pair of pajamas or a night dress. So when we had our daughter we continued the tradition.

On Christmas Eve we go to a late movie so it will be time to go to bed when we get home. Santa comes after everyone has gone to bed... and in the morning we discover what he has left us in out stockings.

One of my favorite traditions is that Santa always brings us a box of cereal. When I moved to America (age 8), I remember being shocked by the abundance of different cereals in the grocery store. In England we pretty much had two kinds of cereals...shredded wheat and weetabix. I don't know if that is how the tradition started but to this day, Santa leaves a box of sugary cereal for each of us.

The last tradition I'm going to share is Christmas Crackers.... If you don't know what they are, Google them. They are so much fun. We did them in England when I was little and in the past twenty years I have been able to find them here. We pop them open after our Christmas dinner. Then we tell the joke and wear the paper crowns.

So...What is your favorite Christmas tradition?

Have a blessed Happy Christmas and Hanukkah. 

9 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your Christmas traditions. it's always nice to learn about how others celebrate. it's cool that you have special, meaningful ornaments on your tree. we do Christmas cracker too. part of our Jam-Brit heritage.

    wishing you and your family HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon - having lived in a few places and not having family I do whatever is around wherever I am. One year in South Africa I did do a tree - which was an aloe branch .. spray painted white with tinsel, little decorations and a few baubles ... it looked fun. I guess I miss lots of traditions of times gone past ... my sister-in-law does a really great traditional British Christmas time ... that I'll miss this year. But then I have new family here ... so I shall see ... take care and enjoy your Christmas seasonal time .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our tree goes up right after Thanksgiving too. On Christmas Eve we all gather around and watch The Homecoming: A Christmas Story with the Waltons. Merry Christmas from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always do the Christmas crackers too! And we have to wear the hats during dinner :)
    Love your Macy ornament!!!
    Most of our traditions are food based - like our 'secret' toffee recipe. Sort of like a vanilla fudge & possibly the best thing I've ever eaten :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I celebrated Christmas, the first ornament I put on the tree was also a little porcelain teddybear, a white bear with a sky-blue bow around his neck. Since I was all of three years old when I took ownership of him, I innocently named him Whitey. After I became Jewish at eighteen, I couldn't bear to give up my favorite ornament, so I've kept him as a knick-knack. Over the years, he's graced shelves, desks, and the mantles in my dorm rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon,

    Those are awesome, symbolic traditions you have, Sharon. Bless the memory of Macy.

    Wishing you and your loved ones a joyous time.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, it sounds like you put a lot of thought into planning the design of your tree. I hope you and your family enjoyed a lovely Christmas with this special tree.

    Over here, I usually like to bake around the holidays and pass off my baked goods to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing some of your favorite traditions. I love the pictures of the ornaments. So sweet you have an ornament for your dog. It's a nice reminder, I'm sure.

    Happy New Year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite Christmas tradition is the stocking. I love filling them for others and discovering what's in mine. I gave crackers to a bunch of people this year for fun. Some of them even wore the crowns...

    ReplyDelete