Monday, October 31, 2011

String Bridges...Launch Party: Bloggy Friend Jessica Bell Makes Good!

 Jessica Bell lives in Athens, Greece, but is actually from Melbourne, Australian from Melbourne.  If you don't know Jessica, hop over to her blog and say hi. 


Jessica writes literary women's fiction, poetry and  is a singer/songwriter who grew up in Melbourne, Australia,with her parents who were successful gothic rock musicians  during the '80s and early '90s.

She spent much of her childhood travelling to and from Australia to Europe, experiencing two entirely different worlds, yet feeling equally at home in both environments. She currently lives in Athens, Greece and works as a freelance writer/editor for English Language Teaching publishers worldwide, such as HarperCollins, Pearson Education and Macmillan Education.

In addition to String Bridge, Jessica has published a book of poetry called Twisted Velvet Chains. A full list of poems and short stories published in various anthologies and literary magazines can be found under Published Works & Awards, on her website.

From September 2012 Jessica will be hosting the Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop on the Greek island of Ithaca, home of Odysseus.

I have to tell you I love Jessica's voice!  She'll make you feel like she ripped your heart out!  Her writing tunes you into every feeling you've ever had, both in  her poetry book, Twisted Velvet Chains (which I bought about a month ago)  and her novel, String Bridges .  I was so pleased to find some of her poetry in her newest novel, String Bridges.  I asked if I could share one of those poems with you.  Of course, she said yes...
Selfish Heartbreak
I used to thrive on hate
until I learned to love
you.

I used to bite my tongue
until betrayal scarred
virtue.

I used to feel selfish
til you proved it weren't
true.

Look at this.
Look at this selfish heartbreak.
Look at this.
Look as this selfish heart break.

You destroyed what I learned to value most
the reason behind my
tattoo.

See what I mean!  Whew!
 Here's the blurb on the jacket flap...


Greek cuisine, smog and domestic drudgery was not the life Australian musician, Melody, was expecting when she married a Greek music promoter and settled in Athens, Greece. Keen to play in her new shoes, though, Melody trades her guitar for a ‘proper' career and her music for motherhood. That is, until she can bear it no longer and plots a return to the stage—and the person she used to be. However, the obstacles she faces along the way are nothing compared to the tragedy that awaits ....



Here are the links you'll need to get the whole scoop:


Make sure you stop by here  to congratulate Jessica and enter her contest!

Natalie Aguirre & Tess Hilmo are the winners of beautiful White Assassin bookmarks...

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Sharon,

    Terrific spot on Jess. She really is an amazing talent.

    Any fun plans for Halloween today?

    (typos suck. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Jess so talented! I'd be jealous if she wasn't so lovely. Heck, she's lovely and I'm still jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to the amazing and super duper talented Jessica and her beautiful words and book!!! Thanks Sharon for the review and links! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this spotlight, Sharon! :o) I thought you were posting tomorrow. Whoops! Better update my post!!! :o) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Jessica! I really love that poem.
    I would love to read her book, too. I know I'd love it with the music theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to Jess! I'll jump over to congratulate and enter her contest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited to win the bookmark!

    And so excited for Jessica. Thanks for sharing her poem. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a talented writer! Looking forward to checking out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, powerful stuff! Good luck to Jess with her tour!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica is sure a multi-talented lady!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to Jessica. What an amazing woman!

    Happy Halloween, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to Jessica! And thanks for sharing her poem with us Sharon, that was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to Jessica.

    I'm glad I stopped by here to be reminded of her release. I just downloaded String Bridge. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for her!!! Her own life sounds pretty exciting and I bet it shows in her book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey airbud, gave you the Liebster Award:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for Jessica! I've heard so many good things about this book. I'm really excited to read it!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sharon .. Jess' book sounds so good .. as does the music - now the poem too from her Twisted Velvet Chains book of poetry ...

    Great review and write up for Jess and String Bridge .. the Homeric Writers' Retreat and Workshop - sounds a fantastic deal - next year..

    Cheers to you both .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete