Wednesday, October 5, 2016

When do you know your story is ready?


When do you know your story is ready?
A great question posed by the leaders of IWSG (Insecure Writers Support Group).  

For me it's when I can't think of another single thing to add to take away from my story to make it better. I've re-read, revised and rewritten until my eyes are crossed. Various critique partners have read the piece or work and I've reworked it again and again. I've read it out loud. I've acted it out in my mind. At this point I say to myself, "It is done." So I send out a few queries and wait to see if.... I'm really done.

Well, so far, I've been done a few times. I have quite a few (I jest) more projects that are maybe, perhaps, nearly...done.

When do you know?

10 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about waiting to see if it's really done. I can relate to that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad writing isn't like baking where we can stick a toothpick in it and see if it comes out clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't gotten to the point where I felt my critique partners felt my project was done. But I haven't been working on my manuscripts for quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon - it must be so difficult ... and I'm sure I'd follow your thoughts - good luck with finishing off your books ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure a manuscript is ever really "done". I think we get to a point where we "settle" for done--thanks to deadlines, encouragement, a need to let go and move on . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Waiting to see if it's really done..." Love it. As many have said, we could NEVER be done...or we can just take the risk and send it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I consider it finished when I've done everything I can to make it better (after crit partner feedback, etc), and I believe anything more will take away from the manuscript. Queries, time, and growth as a writer may prove I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sharon,

    I know when I begin to really hate it. LOL... I'm good with my short pieces but the novels I seem to obsess over more....

    I finished the illustration job!!!!! Yay... I hope to get started on my PB this coming week.. I'll keep you posted...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe, you hope, done? The thing is, it could be done and just not find the right agent, or not find the right agent in the right mood. Such a tough thing, this business.

    ReplyDelete