Wednesday, October 7, 2015

IWSG... Feeling insecure!


Insecure Writer's Support Group...What is holding you back?


Yay! It's the first Wednesday of the month and it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group posts. If you haven't heard of the group, pop over to the blog and check it out, then check out the Facebook group. It's a great group full of supportive people including our leader Alex J. Cavanaugh. Who continues to motivate us even in his busy published life.


We've even put together an anthology packed full of helpful hints about the publishing industry. It's available on Amazonfor the amazingly low price... of free! All you have to do is download it on your kindle app. (I'm in there, talking about editing.}

Usually I'm pretty confident about my writing, my knowledge about the industry and my abilities to edit for others, but a couple weeks ago I went to the SCBWI MO conference and I wanted to shrivel up and hide in a corner. The night before the conference I went to a critique group and felt great about my suggestions for the other writers and about the feedback they gave me on my picture book manuscript. You would think that would boost my confidence. The break out sessions were great. I interacted with the agents that were there several times during the course of the day. You would think that would make me feel good, but instead as the day went on I got more and more shriveled up feeling. I hadn't been to a conference for the last several years. Perhaps that was eating at me. I did the hands on activities with the editors and agents at the last presentation. My middle grade novel seemed to meet most of the guidelines they were showing us. My entry in the first five lines read a loud got mixed reviews, but one of the agents said she would read on and she was open to historical fiction. You'd think I would be high fiving myself, but instead I felt awkward and uncomfortable. Towards the end of the conference I ran into an old friend and she invited me to join her critique group. She introduced me to several members of the group. I finally stopped shivering inside, but on the drive home that feeling emerged again. I needed a hug. I got a couple when I got home. Then I was sick for a week. UGH!

Yesterday, I turned on my computer and finished critiquing/editing a Young Adult manuscript. I had no doubts about my skills. 

Tonight, I go to my first critique group meeting with my old friend. Frankly, I'm nervous. 

Do you ever feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster? 
(Please forgive my overuse of the word "that" in this post.)

16 comments:

  1. I am so insecure I don't even try anymore. I write but that's the end of it. It goes nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably being sick affected your mood. I've gone through similar experiences at conference where I found them more discouraging than anything. I know you'll pick yourself up and keep going. Hope your critique group meeting goes well today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very emotional when I get on a roller coaster. First I'm all "This time I'm going to do it!" Then I'm like "WTF am I doing this was a terrible idea!" Then it's "Okay this isn't so bad." Then "OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE!" And finally ends with something like "I think I'm going to be sick."

    That being said, conferences are probably scarier.

    IWSG October

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon - it's so easy to knock ourselves down. I don't think I could do conferences ... and I don't mind criticism ... but not in front of others .. so can understand your feelings. So glad you got to the conference though .. enjoy your writing and your editing .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing IS an emotional roller coaster. In the 90s, when I first started writing, I rode that roller coaster for six years or so. I did conferences, critique groups, many, many rejections... It was exhausting at times and eventually I burned out. I had to take a few years off but when I came back, I was stronger than ever because I had that background, so it all helps!

    Stephanie Faris
    IWSG Co-Host
    http://stephie5741.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you said, you hadn't been in a while. Anyone would feel awkward.
    I confess I'm usually even-keeled most of the time. No major lows but then again, no major highs, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always on that roller coaster - some days up, then way down low, but always hoping to climb back up again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    You are so talented with your writing, that we can take points from you. Actually you had posted several times points on different aspects of writing. I guess even people who write as good as you can feel insecure sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster all the time. I become insecure when I meet, or interact with other writers. Meeting agents would definitely have had my anxiety getting the better of me. I think you did well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hormones are a beast.Have you been eating enough chocolate? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We always feel a bit insecure when we are outside if our comfort zone, and even sometimes when we are in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do understand, and writer's conferences can be intimidating even when you're feeling great! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writers conferences are daunting. Hugs, hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharon, my life is an emotional roller coaster. ;)
    I know how you feel about conferences. I think the hardest part is going alone. When I first attended them, I didn't know anyone, and it was painful. Next time try to go with someone you know. You can boost each other's confidence.
    You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with T. You CAN do this. But I get that way. You know I don't go to many conferences. I wanted to go to the one in Asheville, but it looks like I won't be able to. Maybe next year. Don't shrivel. You and I can do this. (Positive thoughts) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get that feeling too. Mostly, though, I chalk it up to the fact that big crowds exhaust me. (I like people. I like talking to people. I even like crowds when I'm distant from them. Like crowd watching from a quiet spot in a restaurant.) But being surrounded by a seething mass of people all around me all day...

    I can (and do) handle it, but I shrivel up.

    ReplyDelete