Wednesday, December 9, 2009

THE GREAT PYRAMIDS...(and one more day to enter the three wishes contest)


As you travel across this great country, do you ever see things that surprise you?


Last weekend I discovered the Great Pyramids of Iowa. These massive mounds were right out in the open. There were no national park signs to recognize these amazing monuments. Who built these pyramids, I asked myself. Did immigrants from Egypt build them to honor of their homeland? Did aliens from the future build them? I scanned the parking lot looking for a tour guide. I had so many questions…

Apparently, the National Park Service is falling down on the job. I couldn't find the park ranger or the gift store.  Each year, thousands of people flock to The Field of Dreams in Eastern Iowa. Imagine the volume of tourists who would flock here to see the Great Pyramids, if they knew they were here. I was shocked to find there wasn’t even a self-pay box with a self-guided tour brochure at this great monument.




 
Slowly, I put two and two together and realized, this must not be a National Park…it must be a State Park. That would explain everything.


The lack of a park ranger was not going to inhibit my excitment.  I (cautiously) got out of the car and approached the pyramids. I didn’t want to disturb any wildlife that might have relocated to the pyramids for the winter.  As I neared the pyramids; I noticed the grains of sand used to build these particular pyramids were HUGE. I’ve been on lots of beaches and played in my share of sandboxes, but this was a very different type of sand.






Tomorrow is the last day to enter my three wishes contest. Follow the link and perhaps you’ll be one of the winners.

15 comments:

  1. This is an oddly fascinating post, Sharon (I think your toilet still gets the blue ribbon, though!). Those are great pictures - I love the close-up of the sand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you finish the story? I'm guessing that the "pyramids" are a natural formation? Perhaps glacial deposits from the ice age?
    Lee
    http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How bizarre! My in-laws live in Iowa and we've driven around a lot but I've never come across anything taller than a stalk of corn. Okay, well some of the homes and buildings, but the land there is FLAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a mystery....I'll reveal more tomorrow. :) I can't help myself....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherrie is on the right track...These pyramids are man made...but made with a renewable resource that we have an abundance of in Iowa.

    Any guesses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy--Are you sure? Why would they make pyramids out of corn? Wouldn't the birds just eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! My guess is corn (or some other sort of grain)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, they are amazing! Tell us more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Amy - that close-up looks a lot like corn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep...they are corn piles. We went for a drive and I made my husband stop so I could take photographs. I took the photos from several angles to try and get the illusion of being in the desert. The driers and storage bins must be full, so they piled up this corn in an empty parking lot. I wonder what it looks like today, with a foot of snow on top of it.

    I had never seen anything like this before. I thought it was rather cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are cool - that's a lot of corn! Thanks for sharing the photos. We don't see that sort of thing around St. Louis, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Corn pyramids! LOL Thank you so much for this. I'm so glad you found these on your drive and that you had your camera along. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary Anne and Susan--I rarely leave home without the camera...I even take it when I walk the dog. One never knows what one will find...or imagine they find. :)

    Susan--You know if you guys would move to Iowa you could see the pyramids too.

    SPECIAL NOTE TO AMY---I'm not a dude...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary Anne and Susan--I rarely leave home without the camera...I even take it when I walk the dog. One never knows what one will find...or imagine they find. :)

    Susan--You know if you guys would move to Iowa you could see the pyramids too.

    SPECIAL NOTE TO AMY---I'm not a dude...

    ReplyDelete