Friday, October 9, 2009

A Single Bloom



Do you know where this beautiful orchid is? It's in the canopy of the Pacific Rain Forest in Costa Rica. When we were there we took a tram up to the canopy. This was the only orchid we saw. We learned a lot about Costa Rica on our trip. Did you know it only has two seasons? (the wet season and the dry season) We were there during the dry season. I'm guessing that's why we only saw one orchid. We were able to see several trees we had never heard of before: (I think these are the local names.) a Naked Indian Tree, a Monkey Brush Tree, and a Loofa Tree. I wish I had been able to get photographs of everything we saw. It was so different than our lives here in Iowa.

What have you seen in nature that overwhelmed you?

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of one particular instance in nature that overwhelmed me. I do love to relax in a quiet natural setting.
    Something did overwhelm me once at a zoo. I was on a field trip with the kids once, and we were visiting the primate house. I saw a lonely chimpanze sitting in the corner of the cold wet floor of her cage, fidgeting with her fur on her arm. She looked at me with soulful brown eyes, peering out from a face so similar to my own. She was not happy in that cold barren box in which she was forced to reside. People filed by just looking at her, maybe pointing and commenting. My heart skipped a beat as I realized how genetic make-up is 99% the same as mine; how her brain is almost a complex as mine; how she might have simple thoughts and daydreams like me. I just did not seem right to take her out of her natural home and put her on display for people just a little more advanced than her to gawk at. I have not been able to go to the primate exhibits since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad. That poor monkey. I don't think I'll ever look at the primate exhibit in the same way. Thanks for sharing, Heather.

    ReplyDelete