Thursday, April 10, 2014

AKA Literary Management, LLC (and SK Mayhew) Young Adult Writing Contest Rules and Rewards #yahugs


(Artwork provided by the amazing, witty, and talented @SP_McConnell.)

Before I begin with the rules and rewards for the #yahugs contest, I'd like to thank Literary Agent, Terrie Wolf, for being so gracious with her time and expertise.  She has been an amazing mentor to me these last few months. We actually "met" several years ago through Twitter and became friends. She helped me through a very sad time last spring when my grandmother passed away. Until we started working together on the #sweetheartpbcontest, #midgrademadness and #yahugs contest I had very little idea of her expertise. 

It seems fitting that we are having our #yahugs contest as my one and only, beautiful, and brilliant daughter is graduating from high school  in May. My summer will be devoted to creating special memories with her before she begins the next phase of her life, in college. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#yahugs Rules:
  • On April 14th at 6 pm CST you will be able to enter your complete query letter through a link on my blog.
  • The first 51 entries will receive a automated letters stating that the entry was accepted. (If you don't get in the 51 entries, you will be able to submit to AKA Literary Management, LLC when regular submissions open. Submissions will open after the contests are complete. Terrie and I will announce when they are open here, on the AKA Facebook Page, on Twitter and our Facebook Pages.)
  • On April 21st we will announce the ten winning query letters.
  • They will then be invited to submit the first seven pages of their YA novel to AKA Literary Management, LLC through a link on my blog.
  • On May 2nd will announce the five winners.
#yahugs Rewards:
  • A thirty minute phone call with Terrie (and me) to discuss your manuscript, your writing career, the writing industry or other relevant topics.
  • A line edit and critique of your seven pages.
  • And....you never know, you might be asked to submit more pages.


If for some crazy reason you don't follow @AKA_Terrie on Twitter or Terrie Wolf on Facebook please click on the links and become a follower. You can also follow @AKA_Lit on Twitter and you can LIKE AKA Literary Management, LLC on Facebook.

PS: Make those queries sparkle!
PPS: There will be a #yahugs Q & A event on Facebook this Friday night from 8:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. CST. Not only will Terrie be discussing what she would like to see on the YA front but she'd like to know what you would like to see. Hope to see you there.


7 comments:

Martha Ramirez said...

Yay!! Been waiting months for this!!!! Thank you both for taking the time for all of us. BTW LOVE the title YAHUGS and LOVE the image!! You rock!!

Cecilia said...

nervous as all get out but going to give it a go :)

SA Larsenッ said...

I know. I think of you so often, lately, with your daughter on the verge of graduation. I remember it so well when Josh, my oldest, graduated--2 years ago this June. Whoa... And my second child will be a senior this coming school year. Can't believe it.

YAY for YAHUGS!!!

Donna McDine said...

Hi Sharon and Terrie,

I would have loved to attend the chat, but I'm with family for the evening.

Best,
Donna

erica and christy said...

Very exciting! I have a meeting at work at 6, but I'll check in afterward and see if you still have openings. Best of luck to all who are submitting! Christy

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Sharon,

Just spotted this! YA FOR Y/A

I' ve got to go for an appointment soon, but as soon as I get back I'll be submitting. I hope I get in on time!

Later,

Michael

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sharon - well that's great and is a tremendous opportunity for budding authors and story tellers.

Gosh - a school graduate on her way and then on to College - must success for you both as she moves forward with her life and education.

Cheers Hilary