(Artwork by S.P. McConnell)
Can you believe it? I am about to announce the results...
Your response to Literary Agent Terrie Wolf's and my contest has been amazing. Thanks for all the support on Twitter and Facebook.
If you weren't able to enter or entered your manuscript in the wrong category, don't fret...You'll be able to submit through the regular submission route when it is reopened. We appreciated the people who withdrew their manuscripts once they realized they had submitted the wrong category.
The competition was tough. I mean really tough. A lot of you have really studied the craft of picture book writing and it shows. There are more reasons than you would think as to why a manuscript is not chosen by an agent. I plan on writing a series called WEARING AN AGENT'S HAT following the April contest. I will discuss what makes a manuscript demand attention (based on what I have learned from Terrie).
So, here we go...
In the Fiction Category, in no particular order the SIX winners are:
- FLEAS by Angela Turner
- HOW BAREBONES SKELETON GOT HIS CLACK BACK by Robin Campbell
- VULTURE AND HUMMINGBIRD by Shannon Anderson
- OLIVER ESCAPES ON CHRISTMAS EVE by Manju Howard
- ROCK AND ROLL PRINCESS by Kelly Polark
- SAM AND SALLIE by Rhonda Roberts
In the Non-fiction Category, in no particular order the SIX winners are:
- PAUL'S LEFTY GUITAR by Donna Cangelosi
- HANDS ARE HIGH FIVERS by Jill Proctor
- HOMER PLESSY'S TRAIN RIDE INTO HISTORY by Raj Pillai
- PLING, PLANG, CLINK! A JOURNEY THROUGH THE U.S. MINT by Sharifa Grant
- THE RAIN OF FISH by Valarie Giogas
- CLEVER HANS by Beth Anderson
The runners up, in particular order:
- ELVIRA THE SPOKESPIDER: BASED ON A TRUE STORY by Laurel Neme
- MARTIN'S PERFECT WEB by Beth Halleran
- PINKY, FLOP-EARED JACK AND THE PINK CADILLAC by Kathy Halsey
- SILLY TILLY by Steve Moran
- THE CRECIMIENTO TREE by Tracey M. Cox
- KATHRINE SWITZER: BOSTON MARATHON'S FIRST OFFICIAL FEMALE RUNNER by Melanie Moschella
- PIA AND THE PRIVATE PUMPKIN PATCH by Natalie Hooker
- GEORGIA ADAMS IS ADDICTED TO HOLIDAYS: CHINESE NEW YEAR by Kristen Schroeder
- AYOKA AND THE LEOPARD by Rita Borg
- EARLY MORNING ELEPHANT by Gabrielle Davis
- KALEIDOSCOPE EYES by Christie Wild
- MOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE FLAMINGOS by Elle Kwan
- RHINETTA'S GYMNASTICS TROUBLE by Amber Hamilton
- GRANNY AND GAL ON SUNDAYS by Amy Benedetti
- MOOGA by Cathy Ballou Mealey
Terrie at AKA Literary Management, LLC has been so gracious with her time. I'm sure you appreciated this opportunity to pass the slush pile and be read so quickly. I'm grateful to Terrie for all she has taught me in this month.
We will contact the winners about their prizes. If you would like to resubmit your manuscript after the contests on my blog are finished, please feel free to do so. If you would like some feedback on your story, you may contact either of us after the Young Adult contest is completed.
Terrie and I worked so well together. I can't wait until we start out next contest in March! I've learned so much about picture books this month. I'm expecting to learn just as much about middle grade novels next month! (No pressure, Terrie!)
Stay tuned for information on the Mid-Grade Madness Contest in March!